Tuesday, February 21, 2006

"Baby, Let's Go...To the Movie Show" -- 1967 Rock Lyric



Due to the lack of an underwhelming absence of demand, I have bowed to the seriously negligible popular pressure (I admit it; I'm just a panderer) and posted links to some of my more solemn (i.e., unfunny) video experiments below. I would like to move from my fingers to my toes in counting the number of viewers of most of these, but I would be dishonest if I did not allow that the customary advisories concerning the word "experiment" (like the word "independent") are fully warranted here. In other words, keep the coffee cup filled, and feel free to bail at any time.

This is my latest bit of nonsense, set to a couple of Prokofiev's Visions fugitives.

For those who wondered aloud where les yeux went, here are
Les Yeux I and Les Yeux II, which seek to evade the question further, one with a few bits from Hindemith's Ludus Tonalis, and the other accompanied by an accordion, mandolin, and clarinet trio (which is better than it sounds; or sounds better than it is; or something.)

I called this
A Parallel History of Geometry, a title that proved to be a marvelously effective antidote to idle viewing. I thought the title sounded like an unwritten Borges short story, but it evidently reminded most people of high school, and has chalked up only four or five viewings accordingly. I guess Borges isn't exactly packing them in these days either. The music is by Bela Bartok, from Gyorgy Sandor's famous (at least as famous as Borges's stories) recordings.

This one I called Abstract No. 3, as inspired a title as I've come up with in recent days, and with the viewership to prove it. The pictures are mostly old book illustrations, sort of pre-Raphaelite Lite. The music was made by splicing a few seconds here, a few seconds there, from several jazz recordings, and then overlapping for a sort of measured echo effect. Nothing happens, but it's shorter than it seems.

This is called Arch Waltz No. 3 , and reflects the "No. 3" theme that is a proven winner. These are mostly old drawings of older English buildings, set to a waltz I spliced mixed from a few seconds of a recording I can't remember -- I found most of the composition a bit irritating, which set me to splicing together the decent bits.

There are more, but my patience wears thin (as an obesity doctor famously said.)