Thursday, October 20, 2005

By Reader Request: A Pictorial History of The Garter








"As ever, Edward fell quickly asleep on his silks, and dreamed of The Garter. But did it dream of him?" -- R. DeWisp Crepuscule, Captive of the Flaming Garter (1921)

We are here to serve and to please. Well, that's one of the things we're here for. Two, actually. But a Reader asked what sort of garter should be served with a fine cut of Luxite hose, and I have tirelessly searched the Internet to find an answer to this historically provocative question. As ever, when researching on the Internet, I found out a good deal more than I expected I would, including things that raised a few eyebrows, both of them mine. This more sordid material, indicative of a large number of men and women possessed of unlikely retro fantasies, cannot be reproduced here, due to the immaturity of some of our readers (you know who you are), and due to the tasteful dictates of our exacting editorial standards.

I am not sure that I have answered the question, which is far more complex than might have been anticipated, but I do hope that the images above will be intellectually suggestive, and may serve as a starting-point from which future scholars may march bravely forth.

(Editorial note: This pretty much exhausts my research on, and patience with, the garter question. I noticed on browsing my collection of random images, however, that I have lots and lots of pictures of ladies' hats, so future gallery postings may seem to harp more than a bit on them, but it can't be helped. Waste not, etc.)

UPDATE 10/20 at 11:55 p.m.: Miss Patricia of Bovine Village has more data for the truly dedicated. Be there or be square.

UPDATE 10/21 at 1:50 a.m.: "In olden days a glimpse of stocking/ Was looked on as something shocking./ Now, heaven knows/ Anything goes." -Cole Porter