Thursday, March 24, 2005

Vital Linques

I don't have anything much to say today, though I haven't noticed that this has often given pause to bloggers or much of anyone else, I've decided to offer the following instead.

The Prifoner of Zembla has forwarded this, which nicely encapsulates childhood fears, or perhaps realities.

For those brave souls who weren't reduced to stark staring terror by that, this image ought to cause any sensible adult to quake and blubber.

Now that no one will be sleeping tonight, I'd like to direct attention to one of my prime idleness-inducers, a site that offers classic movie trailers for RealPlayer. ("Classic" in this instance, as so often before, denotes "old," and I'm still quibbling.) Of special interest is the trailer for Bad Men of Missouri, which movie I haven't seen since I was around ten years old, and thought it incredibly cool. I can see why.

David some time ago brought my attention to this (enter "A Pre-History of the Bonzos" in the local search-and-destroy engine) and this. The former will be released in sixty-one days, umpty-doo-wah hours, by my calculation. The countdown begins (well, continues), and the international suspense may prove well-nigh unbearable. Massive pre-orders might push our relative economies into a serious trade imbalance, so I ask that enthusiasts and other apostles of high culture order responsibly. Concerning the latter of the two, I've speculated elsewhere that 1940s cartoons already need footnotes, but the dilemma of the vanishing popular culture is worse than I thought. Fortunately, selfless paragons of a New Scholarship have arisen, and if their efforts strike some as trivial, they are at least comprehensible, reasonable, amusing, and unpretentious. Which places them in marked contrast to, for instance, decades of navel-on-the-ideal-buttocks-counting in such fields as literary deconstruction, social theory, psychoanalysis, and the history of identity.

Finally, for highbrows, such as the other contributors to this site, and for upwardly-mobile middlebrows, such as myself, there's this. I read philosophy at university during the 1970s and, while I found little in my small experience of the academic world that did not annoy me, I at least picked up some unusual reading habits. In fact, much of what I read is very much like the writing on this site. I'm quite impressed with myself for being able to understand some of the posts, and for having read a goodly number of the books posted under "Recommended Reading."
Hmf. I seem to have written a lot for someone who began by boldly proclaiming he had nothing to say. Isn't that just the way it happens?